Question regarding sanding after first coat of undercoat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, people say you need to sand after undercoating, how much do you actually sand down.

I have also seen instances where once sanded down the wood grain shows through and the surface looks as though its just been chalky stained in white. How does one get such an effect as when i try sanding down even lightly, in some parts it goes to the bare wood at times.

Thanks

p.s. i am using wood primer/undercoat by dulux

Sponsored Links
Dont rub down bare wood until it has had a coat of primer. This will bind the surface together and lift the grain of the wood. A good sanding down will cut this lifted grain back. Then apply an undercoat. when dry sand this with something like 120 grade. Not too hard and try not to go back to bare wood especially on the harris edge. Each time you sand you use a slightly higher grade of sand paper. I use aluminium oxide paper which is green or yellow and comes on a roll. this last longer and wont clog. There will always be dust particles in the air that will find their way onto the painted surface. Dont need to rub too hard to get this smooth.

Robbie i used something called wood primer undercoat by dulux which according to some pro posters here is a decent product.

Likewise i have a single coat of the stuff on at the moment. But it isnt easy to rub down without lifting some of it off

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back