Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

This may be a stupid question but...

If you have a 100A main fuse, you have a 100A main incomer. But why in a split load is the RCD always less? Why not make it 100A too? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
69er said:
Hi

This may be a stupid question but...

If you have a 100A main fuse, you have a 100A main incomer. But why in a split load is the RCD always less? Why not make it 100A too? Thanks.

just one fo those things... the lower the rating, the cheaper they seem to be. even if its just a few quid, people will get the cheaper option

I suppose another reason could be that the main incomer is taking the entire load of the board, where as the RCD is only taking half of the board.

Sponsored Links
colport27 said:
I suppose another reason could be that the main incomer is taking the entire load of the board, where as the RCD is only taking half of the board.

but it normally takes the most power. all the rings/shower would be on the RCD side. only lights/cooker on the non-RCD

True Andy, i almost made that comment on my post.....until I realised that even so.....all the current will be coming through the main incomer.
Therefore that even though the greater load will be on the RCD side....more current will be coming through the incomer than the RCD as this has the total of all circuits.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back