Questions about getting a new bathroom fitted.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if im in the correct forum section for this.

We have a bathroom that is in need of a revamp. We were holding off for this until we built up enough of a budget to get it done how we wanted it.

However, this weekend I was taking a shower before going for my vasectomy op and my foot went through the bath (Cue fat git jokes!) Bad timing! :(

We have two little children in our home so having a shower/bath is essential, but also as I have had surgery and busy at work Im not left with much time to carry out any repairs myself.

So im in a situation wondering what to do.

Cheaper option
1) Get a similar style bath (a straight one) and get someone in to fit it. However this may not be a simple job, as we have a water supply pipe that runs under the bath that leads to the electric shower.... so the new bath could mean having to change that pipe work too.)

Pricier Option
2) Decide to get a new bathroom suite fitted.
This would include

- Keeping the toilet where it is, but moved closer to the wall behind it.... so the waste pipe may need to be moved closer to the wall for a new toilet to fit flush to the wall.

- A New pedestal sink, this i imagine would remain in the same position as the current one is.

- I would like to replace our straight bath with a corner bath. (so there would need to be some pipe work done from where they currently run to the end of our straight bath, to where the corner bath taps would be, along with the waste pipe change).

- We currently have a standard rad in the room, i would like to replace this with a towel radiator.

The whole room is currently tiled with old fashioned looking and damaged ones so would like to replace these at some point.

Going forward I would like the narrow wall that the electric shower is mounted on and the wall that runs alongside the bath to be tiled completely, with the rest of the room, half tiled to half way up the wall.

Could the tiling be done after the new suite has been fitted? I wondered if this would be a way we could save on immediate costs, and then either I could have a go at tiling the room at a later date, or get someone in to do it once we have a bit more cash.

Our ceiling is artex (non asbestos type, ive checked), so would like that skimmed and downlights fitted.

Also one other thing is that currently the room uses standard floorboards, rather than flat ply sheets. Whoever did the floor tiling in this room before we bought the place tiled directly onto the floorboards :LOL: , and as you can imaging they are cracked and wobbly.

Would we need to replace the whole floorboards with ply before any of the new suite is fitted, is this a huge cost to factor in?

Would just like to get an idea of the best order to get the bathroom sorted to get the best out of the cash I have available.

Here are some basic plans i have knocked up... measurements are internal wall measurements.

Current Setup
vjzHtus.png

Proposed setup

ARkElqz.png

Sponsored Links
As the bath is unusable, get a cheap one fitted in the same place for now - should be done in a day.
Pipes under the bath are not a problem if replacing the bath with a similar one. It's only those which connect to the bath which may need adjustment.

You can then have more time to decide what you actually want in the new bathroom, rather than rushing because you desperately need a new one.

Any idea on an estimate for how much labour would be to replace the bath and put on new taps?

Based in Bedfordshire if that makes difference on location prices.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back