Questions RE fitting a ventilated ridge to a slate roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I’m hoping to install a ventilated ridge soon and after reading up there’s a few things I’m unsure about. I wondered if anyone could help please?

The roof is Welsh slate and has stone/concrete ridge tiles (not sure which m but they are the old type). There is ventilation already at the soffits. In case it’s relevant, the roof has sarking boards, and the felt is the old style black stuff (1f?) laid directly onto the boards.

1. Should slates be cut flush to or proud of the top battens? Strangely, at the moment the slates are cut flush on one side, but on the other they overshoot the batten by around 75mm.

2. What is a good size gap to have between the top battens at the ridge? Currently they are 105mm apart. Does that sound ok?

3. How much do ridge tiles need to overlap the slates by? The current overlap is 97mm on one side (where the slates are cut flush) and 155mm on the other (where the slates overshoot).

4. The existing felt fully crosses over at the ridge. I’m presuming this would need to be cut to create an air gap, but am I right? If so, how much to cut and remove?

5. And finally, any recommendations for a good ventilated ridge system? I want something that is effective but also that won’t look too out of place on an old house with Welsh slate. Obviously it will need to fit/overlap the slates sufficiently, given the above dimensions. And also, because we live in a very rural area, it would need to keep vermin and insects out!

Happy to upload photos and get any more details that might help with the answers.

Thanks a million for reading. I’ve been trying to answer these questions as best I can but not having much luck, so any help would be fantastic.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the response. But being new to this I'm not sure what system would be best or most suitable at this stage.

Also, I'm just trying to work out how correct/compatible the existing set up at the ridge is as things stand at the moment, so I can gauge how much work needs to be done before installing the dry ridge...

Ta

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back