Gap between sarking boards at ridge?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can somebody please tell me how my ridge is supposed to be built? I think that I have got to grips with most of the roof but the ridge still baffles me.

My new house will have a slate roof. As we are in Scotland the roof will have plywood sarking boards so the roof construction will be:

slates
battens
counterbattens
membrane
plywood sarking boards
50mm ventilation gap
insulation between rafters
vapour control layer
plasterboard

There will be ventilation in the soffits to get an airflow under the sarking boards and there will be some sort of ventilated dry ridge system at the top.

My question is how big should the gap be between the top edge of the sarking boards at the ridge. Presumably they should stop just short of the ridge on each side to provide a ventilation path. The roof will be constructed with attic trusses so there is no ridge board.

Assuming that there is a ventilation gap between the sarking boards at the top, should the membrane on one side be lapped over the top to the other side or does this defeat the object of the ventilation gap?

If you could help to clear my confusion then I would be very grateful.

Thanks
Andrew

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back