Lap Vent or Dry ridge/hip system for high level ventilation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm in the process of creating a room in my loft area and need to add vents near to the ridge and top of the hips to enable air flow behind the insulation. It is a 1940's semi detached house with a hip roof, an unventilated cold roof design, and non permeable sarking.

The room will only be used occasionally via a loft hatch so no need for meeting building control u-values etc.

The insulation will be 40mm celotex placed between the rafters with a further 40mm below the rafters. A 50mm gap will be left between the insulation and the sarking for airflow. I'll foil tape the celotex together to form a vapor barrier between the room and the roof and finally plasterboard to finish. I'll also be adding over fascia vents to enable air flow from below.

For the high level vents, it would require 48 individual tile vents between each rafter so it looks like using a ventilated dry ridge/hip system is the way to go.

But before I purchase one I wanted to know if it was feasible to use lap vents as an alternative to the ventilated dry ridge system?

If no (which is which is the answer I expect), then will I be able to re-use the existing half round ridge and arris hip tiles when using a dry ridge/hip system? or will I have to purchase the plastic ones that they use in their demonstration videos?

Many thanks in advance.
Paul

Sponsored Links
Lap vents wont work with sarking boards, and the existing ridge and hips can be reused for the dry fixing kits....well the ones you can save anyway.

Lap vents wont work with sarking boards, and the existing ridge and hips can be reused for the dry fixing kits....well the ones you can save anyway.

Thank you for the reply.

I don't have sarking boards, just a gritty sandpaper type felt which I guessed was impermeable. Would the lap vents work with that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back