Quick, cheap and dirty way to draftproof aluminium windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
These things are past their shelf-life and need replacing but I can't afford it just yet. I don't care how crap it looks (give the Jonses something to yap about) but I want the draft to stop!

Is there a good solution? I thought about spraying polyurethane foam around them but it looks ugly and is expensive, draft will sneak in the bit which opens too (hangers or hanglights or somethin?)

All thoughts welcomed! Especially something I can spray around the gaskets and opener :)

Sponsored Links
Run some soap around the inside of the rebates and then apply mastic to the casements and close. The mastic will set and form a gasket to reduce draughts and the soap will prevent the window sticking shut whilist the mastic cures.

Run some soap around the inside of the rebates and then apply mastic to the casements and close. The mastic will set and form a gasket to reduce draughts and the soap will prevent the window sticking shut whilist the mastic cures.

You know I think I read this procedure described in spy novel once done by a lady at a Russian guest house, but they didn't explain what the materials being used were.

Sponsored Links
You know I think I read this procedure described in spy novel once done by a lady at a Russian guest house.

Er, The spy who came in from the cold and still found it too cold? :?: :rolleyes:

I've had a crap day at work, BT have wasted 1/2 of it. I was down in the dumps trying to fix a door problem when I stumbled on this post. I can't stop laughing at your comment. Thanks.

:LOL:

A very quick, cheap and dirty way to stop these drafts is to run some lengths of gaffer tape along the edges of the opening window, covering half of the opening window and half of the frame.

Looks crap, but keeps the drafts out. ;) ;) ;) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back