quick fix to flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
okay the proper answer to this question is "get it re-roofed" and honest guv that's what we have planned for spring/summer next year. But my problem is now, today.

We have a flat roof approx 6m * 6m which had (note had) a fall to a lead gutter. The roof is concrete with some type of felt over it and silver paint.

It's been fine for ever, but this year we're doing major refurbs and replaced part of the roof with a glass canopy, this meant that the fall ended in a brick wall rather than a gutter. The water pooled and then ran off through the normal guttering and everything was still fine.

My builder was concerned about the pooling and I let him convince me to lay self leveling cement into the pooling area to raise the level so the water ran off more quickly, so far so good, it sort of worked but we still had pooling, but then he painted the concrete with bitumen and that's where it all went horribly wrong, the cement delaminated and took the original roof with it (not much but enough) so we now have a leak.

The plan next year is to strip it back, add more insulation, restructure the levels so we get a proper fall and then cover with a new rubberised
surface.

But I need a quick fix to get me through until May/June time.

The area I need to fix is approx 6m * 3m so I was thinking of coating the whole area in felting adhesive and then lay 3 overlaying strips of felt over the area and then seal it with flashing.

Do you think this will work as a short term fix?

Sponsored Links
Your quick fix is a big sheet of thick polythene (DPM) over the whole lot and fixed over the edges with lath and with a few slabs or blocks in the middle

Or a tub of Acrypol

okay so if I buy a few tins of the acrypol and paint that over the affected area (about 12 sq mtr) that should do the trick should it?

Also if that's the solution (and it's one I like) could I then put some pea shingle into the few remaining pooling areas to disperse the water more quickly?

Sponsored Links
so does anyone have any suggestions on dispersing the water (apart from doing the roof properly) or is it not too much of a problem after I've acrypol'd it

is there any real product difference between acrypol and cromapol?

I can source cromapol locally today but the acrypol will have to be via tinternet and will take time to get here. But I don't want to have an inferior solution so if the acrypol is significantly better then I'm prepared to wait.

well that's good to know, I can get the cromapol this afternoon and get it painted on this evening.

Thanks all for your help. When I get the roof redone we're hoping to use it as a sun terrace, should I use a rubber membrane system?

I dont know much about this rubber can it be used as a balcony. regular foot traffic ?

If you use Firestone EPDM Rubber, you can fit either walkway pads, adhered to rubber, or loose laid.
You can also lay paving slabs, using the appropiate accessories.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back