Quick Noggins

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
David said this morning "Today, we are fitting noggins on the ceiling" .......... HURRAH! cute word 'noggins', sounds fun, sounds exciting, sounds brilliant - lets get to it hunny! :D

...one noggin fitted, I'm bored beyond belief. He's stitched me up, Noggins aren't cute or fun - "noggins" means "pass me the drill, pass me the screwdriver, hold this bit of wood, pass me the screw, pass me, pass me, bloody pass me!!" :rolleyes:

Is there any secret 'quick' way of doing this, for my sainity? David let me drill one hole, but I was holding the chuck/chock/chick at same time. I didn't catch the actual word due to nearly flipping myself off the ladder, so now I'm back to being the passer of things :confused:

At this rate, the plasterboard isn't going to go up for ages! There's got to be a cheats way? He/we are cutting the wood to fit between joists, then putting screws in at 45 degrees (although the hole I done might be a tad out lol). We've got a dozen or so still to do!

Sorry, hello by the way :D And if I'm in the wrong forum, please can a nice moderator move me? Thank you again

Sponsored Links
Thanks John - we (he) got there in the end - after the first one, we (he) seemed to get the hang of it, and funny enough, went a lot quicker than when I was 'helping'

Todays problem tho, which even now I can hear lots of effing and jeffing, is butting the new plasterboard up to the existing stuff.

We've got to plasterboard the extension, then past the steel joist and butt it up with the existing ceiling.

How do we cut the existing ceiling which is v. flush against the joist, it was originally artexed, so it's also got a skim over .... if he carries on like he is with the stanley knife, there's gonna be more than just effing and jeffing! I can see missing digits happening :eek:

I suggested cutting existing ceiling back to the next joist, (so we (he) can saw in the void between joists). Then back to doing noggins in between the two joists and screwing new ceiling to the noggins, rather than the joist? Does that make sense :confused:

.... oh he's singing, he might've solved it!

Davids modified my idea above and said about cutting up to the next joist (so he can saw the existing ceiling in the void, but instead of the dreaded noggins. Screw a piece of wood against the joist, therefore making the joist wider, to screw the new plaster to! :D

That would work wouldn't it? :)

Sponsored Links
If the two separate plasterboards are on two separate timbers you can bet your bottom dollar that the line will always crack as the two timbers will expand and contract slightly different.

If the two separate plasterboards are on two separate timbers you can bet your bottom dollar that the line will always crack as the two timbers will expand and contract slightly different.

OMG :eek:

Thanks for the info John, appreciate your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back