Timber Garden Office - Wall noggins or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a garden office, timber construction, insulated with plasterboard walls finish.

You can see from the photo below I stared fitting noggins in the walls corners and around the doorway, I then halted this to get the roof on asap due to the weather. I have the timber here to fit noggins in between all the uprights, but a friend told me that he had seen a timber construction where they had not been fitted and had insulation all the way up, think it was to reduce the cold transfer through the wall?

It make no difference to me if I fit them or not, its only a little time and effort to fit and drill for cables, but I want the structure to be as sound as possible and don't ant movement and plater cracking when complete.

Any tips or advice?

Sponsored Links
That plywood exterior will brace the wall ok, assuming they are big sheets and not a patchwork of offcuts, but you will still need something to attach the plasterboard to so add the noggins. I'd suggest using an insulated plasterboard over that lot, as the existing studs will cold bridge and could still shadow through. Cheapest option here would be to cover the lot with some 25mm polystyrene sheets before screwing up the plasterboard.

All the play are 8x4 sheets. I appreciate your comments and suggestions, however I am trying to keep the room with every inch of space I can.
I made the walls out of 50x100 timber C16/C24 to ensure I have a depth for the insulation and also strength to support the roof.

All timer and ply has been screwed together with the exception of the the exterior cladding, the ply on the walls however is only 12mm.

So taking your advice of noggins, maybe just one half way down to add some stiffness and avoid any flexing over time?

I am going to have to used king span or equivalent for the ceiling, but its going to cost a fortune for the 4" walls as well... Is polystyrene in the wall cavity 'almost' as good and 2" / 3" king span?

you could do with at least 2 bridges in between those studs, especially as they look like really big centres. Are they 600?

Sponsored Links
Yes they are 600 centers for the wall 100x50 and the 225x50 roof joists.

I would go with insulated plaster board and 50,75,or whatever you can afford between the studs, but remember £100-150 saved on the total build cost may well stop you enjoying the project as a whole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back