Quick Q, Talon Covers v Drain Valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Want to put some talon covers over my pipes

The reason I haven't started it yet is I'm not sure the best way to deal with the "drain valve" that I have on the end of 3 of my Rad pipes.

Really want it covered up, or removed... or changed so it fits inside the Talon Covers.

Anyway I got some compression stop ends, thinking I could do it myself when I drain the sys, but looking at it, I don't think there will be room to fit them.

Anyone give me suggestions on a way to do what I'm after

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3xgc8oiis95rh3a/2012-11-10 12.23.41.jpg

I suppose as a last resort I could cut out a hole for them in the covers, and find something to put over the bit that sticks out - but that's only if I can't find a nicer solution.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't get rid of them they do come in very handy.
You could always change them for these if your that bothered about them.
1682_686844i.jpg

Yes, I did look at those,
One of the reasons I got the stop-ends, in case I went with relocating the drain valves above like shown.

But it still leaves me with initial problem, is there enough room to cut off the pipe and put a stop end on?. (could I unsolder it?, or is it a case of cutting it off)
34231.jpg

Anyway thanks for the idea.

Won't be enough room to cut it off and fit compression ends even then it'll look untidy.
If i was doing away with it i'd cut it be the tee section and fit a new section of pipe altogether.

Sponsored Links
I'm trying to find a DIY solution, rather than call a plumber.
Not confident in soldering and fitting a bit of pipe, compression fittings are about as far as I go.

Looks don't matter as the talon pipe can cover it, it's just to get rid of the downward drain that would mess up the cover.

If I can't get some kind of stop end on, then it looks as if I will have to let it stick through the covers, and try and find a nice "cap, or something to go over the protruding bit.

Thanks for your advice.

Difficult to see from the photo, but it looks like the drain valve has been soldered directly into the Tee, in which case if you unsolder it you'll need a stub of pipe to fit the stop-end, but an easier solution would be to change the tee for an elbow - but you'll lose the ability to drain at that point.

If I'm wrong and the drain valve is on a stub of pipe, careful removal of the drain valve should mean you can get the stop-end on that.

But I have to say the easiest thing is to cover it with something!

Cheers,
Howard

It's one of these which is soldered in. If you want to move it you'll have to start soldering/altering pipework.

BRASS-DRAIN-COCK.aspx

drain2.jpg

drain1.jpg

Sorry lazy with the images, :)

Thanks for the replies, yes seems like either call a plumber and change pipe work, or just cut out hole in covers and find some kind of plastic cap to make it look OK.

Nice to know, I guess I'll just cover around it then, and wait till I need a plumber on call out and see if I still want it done then.

Thanks all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back