Condensate cyclinder with Lime - can I cover it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, we've just had a new boiler fitted, and being as we have no drainage out the back we were advised we need a cylinder with the lime chippings put it.

Which they've done. Sadly this meant lifting a paving slab up. Now, this weekend I want to replace the slab, the cyclinder they installed has a rubber cover over it but I wondered if I need to leave this open or not?

I was thinking of cutting a 5" hole in my slab, then dropping a drain cover over the top but then do I need to do this? or can that cylinder be completely covered over? The pipe into it runs under ground so there's no access required at the top, I assumed it needed to "breath" or be open to the elements and the rubber thing was just a stop gap until I cover it with a drain cover or something similar.

But if it doesn't need to be open I'll just cover the damned thing with my paving slab and be done with it.

Sponsored Links
That is a condensate soak away, the lime chippings simply neutralise the acidic condensate,the rubber cover you mention is simply a plug as the condensate pipe can be connected to the side or the top and you just blank off whichever is not used so no access to that is now required, so just put the slab back down, no hole needed

fantastic (does mean I now need to return a diamond core drill...)

I was wondering, as it's been connected via the side connection under ground, top as you say, covered with a rubber grommit. So i'm just going to cement around the thing and lay my slab back on. which is brilliant, didn't really want a random drain hole in the patio

Sponsored Links
Will it ever need to be accessed? Who knows .... possibly.

I'd always err on the side of caution and soft fit the slab with sand and mark it so it can be lifted easily if it's ever needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back