Access to manhole covers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had an extension built, and building control have spotted I've put some paving slabs over a couple of manhole covers for a drain that's shared with our neighbours. "Inspection chambers have to be accessible" according to the regulations I found. To be honest, I thought this was pretty accessible. All building control have said that it "does not comply".

Here's the one at the back of the house. The drain runs from our neighbour, the to the left under the extension and to the second manhole. It's covered by a suspended patio, on pedestals.

The one at the front of the house is next to the soil stack, which when it's next to a loose paving slab, I thought would be obvious enough, but not so, it seems :-/

I'll try and have a chat with BC about it, but how bad is what I've done, and what would you guys do about it? Is there a way I can indicate there's a manhole cover beneath the slab (a sign?) or whatever, rather than chopping up paving slabs? Especially the one under the patio. Bringing that up to the level of the patio would look dreadful.

Sponsored Links
Ultimately BC have the power and you have to do what they say. Could you cut some discrete-but-obvious flush-fit handles into the slabs that need lifting?

Are you dealing with the top person at BC? I've had issues around my way in the past when dealing with underlings and have raised my objections with their superior to gain approval. :D

I think you have a case to argue as you have not carried out a complete "build over" (as they have likely noted in their report).

You could resin bond some keyhole plates into the slabs, with grub screw covers to receive drain keys. Much like you get in the flush fit double seal covers. That should look discreet enough and satisfy the BCO's.

Sponsored Links
Accessibility is about being able to find them as well as being able to open them. Bc always have to assume you're going to sell the house and the new owner has to take things as read. I wouldn't know that the covers were there if i bought (admittedly it took me a year to find we had a stop cock after we bought this place as it was in a random kitchen base cupboard)
I like the idea of bonding the keyhole plates, that would be a perfect indicator and look smart, if it's easy to do.

OK, thinking outside the box a bit more...

Either have your local metal fabricators machine something up that allows you to set keyholes into the slabs that will receive drain keys or...

Drill a 12-14mm hole in all 4 corners of each slab you'd need to remove, but far enough in to avoid the legs of the suspended deck, then resin bond 4 of these...
ae235.jpeg
... to the underneath of the slabs, with the socket poking up through the holes you drilled.
Then get 4 of these...
SFU-2-A2_lg.jpg

To screw into the sockets and keep them protected from getting filled with dirt.
Then buy 2, 4 or however many you think you need of these...
S1244833-01.jpg

... to screw into the sockets when the slotted grub screws have been removed. To allow lifting of the slabs when required.

Both a visual indicator and practical way of removing the slabs. :idea::)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back