Manhole covers

Its actually very few in London.

In my case it was a drain from an 1860 cottage which was joined onto when the house next door was built in 1926.

All the surrounding houses were built after 1933 and they all had their individual drains direct to the street.

our office address was built in the 1890s but they all had their individual drains to the street.

Tony

Sponsored Links
If I were to move my manhole and associated drains outside of the proposed extension line, then I would need permission of at least one neighbour-and perhaps both- to excavate their gardens and re-route the main sewer line. In effect I would be installing a dog-leg into what is now a straight run. Logic tells me this a worse solution than just changing the cover of the existing manhole to a double seal type for indoor use.

Or move the manhole to the side of your property and do not extend over it. Ring your council's Building Control department, they'll tell you what they'll require. You can get a booklet from Thames Water' Building over a Public Sewer". They won't let you build over a manhole. The plans won't get approval until you get an agreement from Thames Water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back