Manhole cover inside!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Victorian end of terrace with the obligatory bathroom built in the back extension. Between the kitchen and the bathroom is the small lobby that the back door opens into, and in this area is a manhole cover (it has been covered with the same floor finish and only the outside frame and brass screws are visible). A scary call to building control revealed that it didn't contravene anything when it went in (ages ago) and it doesn't belong to the water board. As far as I can tell it's only my loo that empties into it as I can't hear water any other time, there is also another manhole in the back garden at the end of my house. I want to extend the kitchen slate floor out into this lobby. I have had one person say not to do it in case I need to open it up, another saying it was ok unless I was flushing very odd things down the loo and likely to block it up! Any advice to sway me either way would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
do the same again...have the slate fit in the frame and only have the outside frame and screws showing....polish the brass and call it a feature !

that way u'll have access if required.

or cover it with lino (on some hardboard for a flat finish) ?

On my extension (old house) the manhole is in the kitchen. I was having a tiled floor, so I had to decide what I wanted to do. I covered the manhole in the kitchen, making careful photos & dimension for location. I was prepared to take the risk on blockage being rodded.

Sponsored Links
my 2p worth, my neighbour had an extension, they covered manhole, put one one outside, does he regret it?

you bet your life he does, he has to rod it from our drain, but he is considering having his nice new floor ripped up so he can get to it as he can not quite clear the blockage

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back