Quick question (or 2 )

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a couple of doors painted with oil- based gloss. I'd like to repaint them with a quick drying gloss due to the presence of kids and pets.
I've got a tin of Zinnser Bin 123. Can I just paint over the gloss with this and apply the quick drying gloss over that or is it more involved?
Any recommendations for a brand of quick drying gloss to use?
Sorry if this stuff has been asked before. I'd normally search the site but my Internet access is limited today. TIA.

Sponsored Links
Rub the door down and dust/wash off. Apply one coat of the Zinsser 123. let that dry and then apply your water based gloss. I use Armstead, this is made by Dulux/ICI and is very good, its better than the Dulux. Screwfix sell it as does the Dulux Dec centre.

I would be wary of using QD for the large surface, you will be drying before you get to the bottom of it so any lines/imperfections you'll struggle to correct. I'm finding this when using QD dulux satinwood against the Solvent based.

Sponsored Links
You can put an extender in the paint, like Xim, Owlatrol or similar, this will slow the drying of the water based paint and allow you to keep a wet edge longer, similar to oil based.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back