Quick question - radiator pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Alright chaps,

I removed a radiator last night to fit a new floor. The tails were left upright and somebody (my girlfriend) stood on one of them bending it right back. I need to replace that piece of pipe, i have full access to it after lifting the floor boards. My question is, the pipe has a right angle bent into it (where it comes out of the floor boards) whats the best way to bend my new pipe in this way bearing in mind it will be covered up with the new floor and not seen for years. I was going to buy a pipe bending tool but a mate at work said this may thin the pipe. Do i use a 90 degree solder fitting? Compression? Any opinions would be much appreciated....

Thanks

Tom

Sponsored Links
ANything you like - not sure what your question is. First you could try just bending it back. Give the girlfriend a good spank.

Sorry, should've been clearer. I fear that if i bend it back it will split but will try. Basically i had it set in my mind that i was going to bend it using a pipe bending tool. Since then though a work friend told me this may not be the best idea. I just wondered what the prefered method is of getting a right angle in a pipe whether it be via a 90 degree compression fitting, solder fitting or bending the pipe bearing in mind the pipe will not be accessable once the floor is done.

As for the missus......she wont be doing that again! :cool:

It it was me after bashing the missus :D i would solder a 90 degree elbow on there. Pipe bending machines aren't cheap unless you can borrow one and an elbow costs a few pence.

Sponsored Links
you dont say what size the pipe is? 8-10-15mm?

if its 15mm forget bending it just solder or use a compression fitting.

if its thinner pipe and if you think its going to split it probably will. just cut out the bad bit and solder or compression fitting a new bit on. 8 or 10mm pipe can be bent by hand.

adwt2004 - steady on there fella ;)

Cheers for the replies chaps, i will try the solder fitting then, i've never used those fefore.

Mange tout

Tom

If it isn't bone dry you won't solder it, and you need to practice a bit really. You might be better off using a compression elbow. They aren't "supposed" to be used where they aren't accessible, but millions of them are.
Or, there's always pushfit.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back