Central Heating radiator pipe centres

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Quick question. As part of my restoration, I have the opportunity to place some new vertical pipes thropugh the floor boards to the valves. The original pipes are old and bent and generally knackered. As I don't have the original radiators and will be buying new ones, my question is:

Are pipe centre distances standard on most radiators? I'm not talking about expensive designer radiators, but rather a standard double panel type radiator. I realise that this will depend on the radiator size, but again are there set sizes?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
As a general rule I go for 43mm on each end of rad length to accommodate pipes... what do other installers go by?

ie 1000mm rad, leave pipe centres at 1086mm

I add 45mm to each end but yeah somewhere around there generally works. As for distances off the wall, this varies wildly with the radiator manufacturer so you'll need to get a spec sheet off them (or we can find it if you tell us which brand of rads you are using...)

Sponsored Links
I add 45mm to each end as centres for pipe and come 8cm off wall for a double rad and 6cm for a single.

Well that's interesting, people seem to range between 35 and 50 mm off the end of the radiator. Guess there are either a lot of skew pipes out there or valves vary? :LOL:

Valves do vary slightly, most have short slumps of 15 on them and can be slightly adjusted but I found 35 wasnt enough

I always use 40mm either side & fits perfect, but I suppose it depends which trv & lockshield you are using....

45MM each side When using plumbcentre bulldog valves/pts boss valves/terrier valves.
If the lockshield is a wasp valve then this distance would be less on one side

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back