Quick question - should a horizontal flue angle up or down?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a combi boiler with a flue that comes out the top, has a 90 degree turn and then a 5 metre horizontal pipe to the outside wall.

This horizontal section seems to be angle slightly upwards from the boiler end to the wall end - e.g. if you put a marble into the flue at the wall end, I think it would roll all the way down to the boiler (don't worry I'm not going to attempt this!).

Has this been installed correctly?

I've tried searching the forums and elsewhere but to no avail.

Sponsored Links
If it's a condensing boiler it's fitted correctly, if it's not then it's wrong.

It's a 4 year old Baxi Combi 80e.

Presumably there could be an issue of condensed water running back along the pipe and into the boiler?

Any non-condensing boiler should have the flue drop away from the boiler so any condensation drips out of the flue.

Sponsored Links
Thanks both of you for your responses. Looks like a long road ahead...

gas4you said:
Any non-condensing boiler should have the flue drop away from the boiler so any condensation drips out of the flue.

How did you run vertical flues?

Non-condensing horizontal flues should be horizontal, tilting down is to to stop rain water ingress.

5m is the max run for this boiler

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back