Quick request for advice...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick request for the best cable type/rating to use for a lighting and a ring-main spur? I've searched on here but been overloaded with info!

I want to put a junction box off the upstairs lighting socket to put a simple light/switch in the loft. I'd like to know the best/most suitable cable and junction box rating to use.

In addition, I'd like to take a spur off the ring main from the upstairs socket ring to put in another single socket for a TV on the wall. Again, a sensible rating/type for cable and junction box.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
It is normal nowadays to use 1.5mm T & E for lighting circuits, and a 20A JB, although there is nothing stopping you wiring the loft light in 1.0mm if you choose to do so.

For the spur, you need 2.5mm T & E cable.

Don't forget JBs have to accessible.

Cheers...might just run the socket spur from an existing socket.

A second question:
I want to put a co-ax aerial plate onto the wall next to the socket...should this be in a completely sparate pattress box or it is safe to use a double box for two different faceplates?
e.g. One double, but separated, box with a single socket face and a single co-ax plate.
Can you get such a thing anyway?!

Sponsored Links
BlueChippy said:
Cheers...might just run the socket spur from an existing socket.

A second question:
I want to put a co-ax aerial plate onto the wall next to the socket...should this be in a completely sparate pattress box or it is safe to use a double box for two different faceplates?
e.g. One double, but separated, box with a single socket face and a single co-ax plate.
Can you get such a thing anyway?!

You can get a dual box which is like having two single boxes together. Remember the coax cable needs to be kept separate from mains cable to avoid interference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back