Quick solution for ventilating slate roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a UK victorian terrace with (what looks to me from the ground like) a traditional slate roof. I've noticed that the loft space has become rather humid since I beefed up the fibre glass insulation between the joists a couple of years ago. I now have a hygrometer up there, and the readings are usually borderline acceptable (around 55% - 60% relative humidity) but sometimes go higher.

I'm aware of the need to keep the loft hatch well sealed (done) and to keep the under-eaves area clear of insulation (done).

My neighbour has just had scaffolding put up to give access to his chimney stack. It would be very easy for me to get up there and shimmy along the ridge onto my roof and put in some high-level ventilation slates. They're probably not desperately needed, but given the opportunity it seems a shame not to do it, if it's relatively easy.

So the question is: is it relatively easy? I have no roofing experience whatsoever, although plenty of terra firma DIY experience. I'm imagining I can coax an existing slate out from its home and slip a replacement ventilation slate in. There is felt underneath, and I assume this can be cut and a flap made relatively easily from within. Am I being hopelessly naive? If it is doable any suggestions as to suitable easily fitted products? I'm not to bothered about outward appearance, and ease of fitting, relaibility and zero maintence are far more important than cost. (I'm not so interested in ridge vents, which look like a lot more work.)

PS Comments also invited on the safety of straddling the ridge without safety equipment or parachute.

Cheers!

Wrigglesworth

Sponsored Links
Its not really as easy as you think. You need to strip a patch of slates out and cut battens back. Doing it from the wont be easy either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back