Quick tip please - judgement error on colour!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I've painted a room in a colour that doesn't look good at all. I want to repaint in magnolia but just wondered how long I should leave it before starting. The 2nd coat of the other colour is drying now. Is there a risk of colour contamination if I apply new colour within, say, 24 hours?

Also, I bought Wickes trade contract emulsion for this and the room I did previously and am having difficulty getting a perfect finish - it's a bit patchy. Is this because I'm an amateur trying to use professional paint, or wrong rollers (short pile on smooth wall)? Should I use a more expensive domestic paint instead?

Thanks

Alex

Sponsored Links
AH!!!! Wickes paint :evil:

In all the DIY store brand of paints, I find Wickes the absolute pits.....

I think your roller is okay, either a short or medium pile, specially on flat walls.

I bet you didnt have to thin it down lol

Wait a day or two, give your walls a light sand down, and buy some good QUALITY paint, either dulux, or get yourself to a decoratoring centre and buy some 'gliddens' vinyl matt, much cheaper than dulux, but made by ICI, same peeps that make Dulux.

Its brilliant paint, I use it quite a lot, and goes on a treat.

But, whether you use 'dulux' or 'gliddens', and you want that flatter finish, then add some water to the paint, this will make it go on a lot more smoother, and not get the 'orange peel' effect.

I've never had a problem with Wickes paint. In fact I find it better than average. It's made by Leyland Paints (I've seen the delivery truck).

With a short haired roller and any paint on the market you should get good results.

alexhousden said:
Hello

I bought Wickes trade "contract "emulsion

Alex
then it`s probably for new plaster.....and doesn`t have any vinyl in it ;) ....any good Vinyl matt will be ok.

Sponsored Links
Well you learn something new every day!

Thanks everyone, repainted with safe old magnolia and it looks grand.
Just a shame about the wasted money.

Alex

From past experience, i've found Wickes paint,(supplied by customer) to be rubbish. OK this was a few years ago, when she brought it home I voiced my concern but she assured me that this was their premium Matt emulsion. Anyway I was only painting the dado, as the top was being papered. As I was papering, I noticed that when I sponged the edges etc, whenever I came across the new paint, it rubbed straight off. It was like a vrey basic contract emulsion when it claimed to be a vinyl based paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back