Quickest way to repair water stains on plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm selling my flat and due to complete in the next 6 weeks. However, a few days ago the flat above mine suffered a water leak and there has been some water down one of my walls (around a door frame). It's very unsightly and needs to be repaired as I can't vacate the flat with water damage.

I've had a fan heater blowing for around six hours a day for the last couple of days and the water is drying up but it has left severe stains on the painted plasterboard.

I have a can of stain block. Should I simply spray a few coats of stain block and get the wall repainted? I'm really looking for the simplest solution at the moment.

Sponsored Links
Call your insurance company and/or demand that your upstairs neighbours pay for professional repair and drying out.

When I had a frost-burst pipe L&G provided a dehumidifier contractor to dry out the wet wall, also an approved builder to replaster and redecorate.

The issue is that i'm selling the flat and vacating in the next few weeks. I don't want to make a claim on the insurance as i've already filled the questionnaire in stating i've never made a claim and that has already been sent off.

Plus, there's a £100 excess and there's not £100 worth of work (one coat of magnolia emulsion on a wall that's just 87" wide x 83" high, with a door in all of that too.

hi taz777

stain block then a coat of paint to cover will be fine. Make sure the surface has dried out though and the problem upstairs has actually been fixed.

The spray may need a few coats to cover fully, and open a window because it stinks!!!

Andy

Sponsored Links
Stain block will do the job nicely as andywhy has said. Apply a couple of coats and don't be too heavy handed as this will lead to runs which will look just as unsightly.

When you apply the emulsion over the stain block it may look patchy. This is known as 'flashing' but will dry out after a little more time than you would usually expect.

Thanks all. I cleaned the wall yesterday and applied two liberal coats of stain block over the water stains. A painter painted the wall today for £60. Job done!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back