Yellow Water Stain - Polycell Stainstop question/issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Looking for some advise regards stopping yellow water stain coming through ceiling. Will try and make this concise !

Ceiling was newly skimmed and emulsioned about 6 months ago.

About two weeks ago yellow water stain appeared on ceiling (not dripping water) and down side of window frame.

Problem resolved - issue was loose slate and lack of flashing around where overflow pipe protruded from roof - This has since been repaired

I left to dry out approx one week then went over stain with polycell stainstop aerosol - took stain out completely. After leaving it for about three days emulsioned over the stain stop, within an hour of doing this yellow stain came back through although to less severity than it was originally.

Went over again with stainstop after emulsion dried. Repeated above step, stainstopped covered the stain completely but again after emulsioning it comes through again ... Although this time it is almost away completely, but as I know where to look! I can still see a slight outline of very light yellow.

Is this a case of the stain not being dried out properly before I started trying to remedy, or stainstop being not very good, or something else entirely !

Appreciate all help :D

Sponsored Links
Possibly not dried out properly. Alternatively, you may need to use several coats of stain block before painting. Allow enough time for the stain block coats to dry.

The stain needs to be completely stopped using just the stain block first. Coating over with emulsion between stain block coats is probably a waste of time.

Thanks taz. I have used successfully before (top flat in old tenement, one of the pearls!).. But used it previously as brush on, maybe its the aerosol version not covering as well. I'll give it another coat - I see they also sell dampseal as well, might need to try this. thanks again

Possibly not dried out properly. Alternatively, you may need to use several coats of stain block before painting. Allow enough time for the stain block coats to dry.

The stain needs to be completely stopped using just the stain block first. Coating over with emulsion between stain block coats is probably a waste of time.

Agreed.

If the stain still keeps appearing try Zinsser Coverstain or BIN
http://zinsseruk.com/shop/ProductList.aspx?cId=130

Sponsored Links

Agreed.

If the stain still keeps appearing try Zinsser Coverstain or BIN
http://zinsseruk.com/shop/ProductList.aspx?cId=130[/QUOTE]

cheers mate - i was going to plump for the zinsser product but went for polycell on the basis it was a more know brand name (to me anyway) - zinsser was fekin cheaper as well ! I'll go down that route if i cant get rid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back