Quicky on changing expansion tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Quick question on changing an expansion tank. First one I've done but 17 rads on an 18 litre. Pretty sure the bags failed. Going to put a 25 litre on but can I close off with the valve underneath the tank connection? Or easier done with a quick drain and under vacuum please.

Sponsored Links
You are not supposed to have any valves between expansion vessel and system.
Can you not freeze the pipe?
Or if you can close off any auto vents and drop the pressure fully it might be possible to swap, perhaps by still plugging pipe temporary while you struggle to fit new vessel.

Thanks.
To be honest I'm still scared to freeze pipes. Seen it push compression fittings right off in the winter!
Will do the vacuum thing I think.

Thanks.
To be honest I'm still scared to freeze pipes. Seen it push compression fittings right off in the winter!
Will do the vacuum thing I think.

If you have the basic freeze kit of a jacket and can of freeze spray it would be easy.
Freeze spray won’t burst the pipe.
It just forms an ice plug.

As to pipes freezing and compression fittings pulling off in severe winter - the 2010 winter was so bad could burst anything including soldered fittings.

Sponsored Links
Cheers.
Wonder if I can just turn a £1 air duster can from poundland upside down to freeze! :D
(do not do. Not advice. Just noticed...)

Personally I always fit an isolation valve and a drain point on an expansion vessel, makes life so much easier to service them.

If water pressure is fully dropped off a sealed system you might find no bother from water coming from the open pipe (if auto vents are all manually closed using their wee plug cap).
But the old faulty vessel will be full of water and very heavy. Can be difficult to hold while disconnecting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back