Quiet valve for loft water tank

4 Aug 2007
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I've been looking at getting a new ball valve for the loft water tank (was going to get the Pegler Prestex Float Valve Part 2), and saw a plastic 'quiet valve' on screwfix called 'Fluidmaster Side Entry Fill Valve ½"' - link:


It appears to make the re-filling less noisy when the tank is nearly full by re-filling under the water level. My only concern is it looks a bit less sturdy than the brass float valves and we have incredibly high water pressure.... Has anyone ever fitted one of these before? Are they any good or should I stick to the brass type?


Sponsored Links
I changed a ball valve for a quieter one in the loft as the kids showers late at night meant that the water was always filling when you were trying to nod off (Loft bedroom).

The trouble was when the equilibrium/backflow diaphram went wrong it just keeps filling, full pelt and if the overflow is not up to speed (ie undersized or blocked with spiders/webs etc.. it tends not to get away fast enough. At least with the old ball cock when things start to go wrong it will tend to just drip constantly, only given away by the annoying drip from the overflow outside.

Just old fashioned perhaps or just not aware of a better product. :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links