Loft tank: Replace side-entry float valve.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace the float valve in my daughters loft tank. The old one is noisy and leaky. I intend to replace it with a quieter side entry fill valve. i.e. this one.

I’ve replaced the fill valve in my own house a number of years ago but I can’t remember what type of fitting is needed to connect the brass shank of the fill-valve to the 15mm pipework.

The old fitting/connection looks a bit skanky,...see picture.

Can I re-use the existing fitting (as skanky as it looks) or is it best to replace it?

If I can re-use the existing fitting all well and good,...but I’d like to have new fitting/s to hand just in case the old one can’t be re-utilized.

In essence, what do I need to buy to make the connection?

As ever, all replies gratefully received.

upload_2021-6-14_11-8-40.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that @Mottie ;...any idea which washer size/type I might need?

...Also...

Would either of these ½”-15mm elbowed connectors be suitable to replace the existing skanky old connector if the need arises?

upload_2021-6-14_12-47-48.jpeg

upload_2021-6-14_12-48-22.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that @Mottie ;...any idea which washer size/type I might need?

...Also...

Would either of these ½”-15mm elbowed connectors be suitable to replace the existing skanky old connector if the need arises?

View attachment 236386
View attachment 236389
You could replace it with the same if you were ok with soldering but to be honest, there’s nothing wrong with what you have - just a bit of limescale where it’s had a weep in the past. Go to any plumbers merchants and just ask for a 15mm tap connector washer.

Thanks for that @Mottie ;...are these the washers you mean?...£1.35 from s/fix...they say ½” not 15mm though.

Washer sizes have always confused the hell out of me. :(

upload_2021-6-14_13-14-10.jpeg

Thanks for that @CBW;...there isn’t an isolating valve fitted at the moment and I did intend to fit one. I've already bought one of these,...good quality (presumably) with an easy/reliable shut off in an emergency, or whenever.

I usually like to ‘over buy’ all/any items I think I might need if I’m doing any jobs like this,...especially when it’s not in my own house. I like to be armed to the teeth with any conceivable item that I might need. Thank god for S/Fix and Toolstation’s returns policy!

If I can get away with using the existing connector I will,...or even just replace the washer is easier than changing the whole thing.

However, I’m a passable solderer if need be;...end-feed is not a problem,...I’ve done lots of it over the years,...it’s just that I don’t do plumbing/soldering on a regular basis and I do get a bit rusty! :unsure:

Last edited:
That overflow pipe looks like it's distorting the cistern wall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back