quinn vs myson rads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok i got a quote for the quinn compant rads all in at £665, i have not got a quote for the myson premier compact rads, these seem to have the round tops aswell?

Anyway the mysons came back at £580, so a little cheaper, but. I have checked the BTU for the mysons and they are all slightly lower than the quinns, i did rate the quinns higher than needed tho. Could this be a problem or should i get the mysons.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Providing the BTU output from the radiator is sufficient for heating the living space intended, it matters not.

rad heat outputs,these are normally measured from top to opposite bottom end connection.
so if you feed your flow (input) to a top connection and your return connection to bottom opposite connection it works out slightly hotter.
bottom flow and bottom return = less temp.
seen all over civilised europe that rads flow into top and exit bottom opposite end.
many rads sold in uk have just bottom connections...see below.
reason why in uk all rad connectons are in bottom is just it looks nicer.
ok when my old aunty moved in to a retirement flat all the trvs are on the top connection (so easy to grab hold of) and return on bottom opposite connection.rads heat from top to bottom using gravity to assist the pump.
well thats my kw worth.

ok i got a quote for the quinn compant rads all in at £665, i have not got a quote for the myson premier compact rads, these seem to have the round tops aswell?

I would ask the engineer that gave you the price for the Quinn rads to give you a price on the Myson's. If you want looks over BTU then he should be anle to give you a list of different specs for you that suit the need that you're after.

Anyway the mysons came back at £580, so a little cheaper, but. I have checked the BTU for the mysons and they are all slightly lower than the quinns, i did rate the quinns higher than needed tho. Could this be a problem or should i get the mysons.

Ohhhh... so you have been quoted for the Mysons!

i did rate the quinns higher than needed tho

thought the engineer was telling you?

Or you have worked out the BTU's for each room yourself and then applied it to a catalogue to work out how much it should cost for you to buy them and then sacrifice looks for a cheaper rad?

Then ring an engineer and tell him you have some rads that you'd like him to fit?

IMHO i would go with what the engineer has specified. That way you can be safe in the knowledge that you haven't ballsed it up yourself in a DIY f**k up[/quote]

Sponsored Links
Jonjb!

I think that you are getting out of touch with what this fellow is asking.

As far as I can see he is a DIYer going to fit them himself or a homeowner going to buy the rads himsilf for a plumber to fit.

He has made no mention of any engineer or plumber being involved!

As the teachers always said "Read the question first!"

Tony

thought the engineer was telling you?

Or you have worked out the BTU's for each room yourself and then applied it to a catalogue to work out how much it should cost for you to buy them and then sacrifice looks for a cheaper rad?

Then ring an engineer and tell him you have some rads that you'd like him to fit?

That's what i was speculating in the first place. I was just giving him the slightest benefit of the doubt throughout the post!!

As the teacher should be taught, never underestimate!!

my main question is would you as a plumber rather fit mysons in your own home remember they actually work out cheaper and appear to look better. steve

I am a boiler engineer and not a plumber so I do not fall within the category for the question that you are asking.

You will have read the speculation on your status and I am surprised that you did not clarify the position.

Tony

quinn compact rads all in at £665
the mysons came back at £580,
A Quinn Compact 600 x 1000 single condenser produces 1031 watts; while the myson equivalent is only 894 watts. The cost per watt is virtually identical. So you decide if you want to have more heat or save money - your choice!

I would explain it slightly differently.

You need to choose the required heat output and select a suitable size of radiator to match that from whichever manufacturer you prefer.

As the price per watt is the same the you can choose the make you prefer the look of.

In an ideal world I would choose the lower output model as that would give me a larger radiator for my money.

Longer rads give a better spread of heat in the room.

Tony

You need to choose the required heat output and select a suitable size of radiator to match that from whichever manufacturer you prefer.
I agree that's what you should do! But, if the OP has chosen the same size rads from both manufacturers, there will be approx 15% more heat from the Quinn's.

The OP says that the Quinns are oversized, so this might be an advantage if the boiler runs with a 20°C differential.

In an ideal world I would choose the lower output model as that would give me a larger radiator for my money.

Longer rads give a better spread of heat in the room.
An interesting point of view.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back