Quite a few tiling questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi was hoping for some assistance, now i know these question have probably all been answered at some point on here but I'm having trouble finding them all so i though i'd post and see if i get any replies.

Right I've got a bathroom floor and walls to tile floor area approx 3mtr sq and a under stair cupboard being turned into a toilet room my questions are this

1) The main bathroom floor has been tiled but straight onto the floorboards, i will be taking all these tiles up, but what thickness ply will i need and is adhesive and grout a pain to get off wood as i assume the floor boards will need to smooth before ply to stop poor floor level

2) The tiles i'm laying are porcelain, do i need special porcelain grout and adhesive or will any do

3) Is the ready mix adhesive and grout better or worse than mix your own

4) Porcelain drill bits...hmmm struggling here Wickes don't do em B&Q don't do em the only place i've found the is Topps Tiles but £29.99 for 50mm and £9.99 for 18mm is a canny bit 'o' cash to drill 2 big holes and 4 small ones. Can you get them anywhere cheaper or is this about the going price.

5)Any tips or good websites with help as to where to start when tilling is welcome. i.e do i start in a corner or the centre of the door or centre of the room.

6) With the walls being tiled also so no skirting how close do i tile the floor to the wall i.e do i leave a gap at the edge or tile right up to plasterboard

7) Can you tile straight onto plasterboard for the wall

8) I assume.... but could be wrong here is it better to use dark grout for floors

9) Where the wall tiles meet the floor tiles do you use a bead silicone or still just use grout.

10) One more question.....in my under stair cupboard toilet the floor is going to be a new concrete one. Can i tile straight onto this and how long must it have been down before tiling on top of.

This is my first tiling job I've ever done hence all the questions. just want it to look as good as possible so any help would be great.

Thanks hopefully in advance.

p.s dont know why my number 8 has turned into a face with sunglasses on

Sponsored Links
Hi was hoping for some assistance, now i know these question have probably all been answered at some point on here but I'm having trouble finding them all so i though i'd post and see if i get any replies.

Right I've got a bathroom floor and walls to tile floor area approx 3mtr sq and a under stair cupboard being turned into a toilet room my questions are this

1) The main bathroom floor has been tiled but straight onto the floorboards, i will be taking all these tiles up, but what thickness ply will i need and is adhesive and grout a pain to get off wood as i assume the floor boards will need to smooth before ply to stop poor floor level

wet old adhesive and scrape/sand it down, then screw f/boards down onto joists every 150-200mm,if no joy use a 2 part self level compound over it.

2) The tiles i'm laying are porcelain, do i need special porcelain grout and adhesive or will any do

use a powdered adhesive,it will say on the bag siutable for porcelain.flexiable adhesive and grout also..[/color
]
3) Is the ready mix adhesive and grout better or worse than mix your own

NOOOOOOO..use bagged adhesive

4) Porcelain drill bits...hmmm struggling here Wickes don't do em B&Q don't do em the only place i've found the is Topps Tiles but £29.99 for 50mm and £9.99 for 18mm is a canny bit 'o' cash to drill 2 big holes and 4 small ones. Can you get them anywhere cheaper or is this about the going price.

you will need some quality drill bits for porcelain..try drill 365(google them)..porkies are murder to drill,but you will have to pay for the good bits ere mate..

5)Any tips or good websites with help as to where to start when tilling is welcome. i.e do i start in a corner or the centre of the door or centre of the room.

setting out is the most important bit and time consuming,get your main wall..centre it then walk tiles into corners to see how your cuts are,if slither then use centre mark and work off the centre of your tile,again you will do this for the top and bottom cuts as well,so just play with your centre lines,then walk tiles into all corners to see how cuts will be...
never ever start with a FULL tile in ANY of your corners..

6) With the walls being tiled also so no skirting how close do i tile the floor to the wall i.e do i leave a gap at the edge or tile right up to plasterboard

tile walls first,but leave the bottom course of,then tile the floor.
then when putting bottom course 3mm gap from bottom of wall tile to floor tile,and use a silicone(same colour as grout)to infill..

7) Can you tile straight onto plasterboard for the wall

yes,dont plaster it at all,and you will be using a cement based adhesive so prime all walls/floor with an acrylic based primer..i.e mapei primer G or bal apd or a sbr follow m.i. for mixing ratio..
8) I assume.... but could be wrong here is it better to use dark grout for floors

9) Where the wall tiles meet the floor tiles do you use a bead silicone or still just use grout.

silicone..

10) One more question.....in my under stair cupboard toilet the floor is going to be a new concrete one. Can i tile straight onto this and how long must it have been down before tiling on top of.

rule of thumb,for every 1mm its a day,so if 75mm it will be 75 days,is it a gypsum base if so it will be 45mm thick,but you will need to prime this with either an acrylic or epoxy based primer.
This is my first tiling job I've ever done hence all the questions. just want it to look as good as possible so any help would be great.

Thanks hopefully in advance.

p.s dont know why my number 8 has turned into a face with sunglasses on

8) .....no...eight...dark grout..grey etc..white will be a very dark white within a month...

jeez just read my reply...lol..lol..

i aint no good on this f4.c.k.i.n new phone....

Rich any questions.. over "ONE" sentance ..i am leaving to you... :confused:... :LOL: ;)

and my spe :LOL: lling aint getting any better either...

Sponsored Links
Not much I can add to tictic’s post really, just a couple of things;

I’d consider replacing the existing floor with 18-25mm WBP ply (depending on floor construction) rather than mess around making the existing boards good for overboard. If you do overboard, use 12mm WBP ply minimum, screw down ever 150mm & fix through into the joists rather than just screwing into the top of the existing boards; check the location of any pipe runs & cables first.

Don’t skim the plasterboard, tile straight onto it but I hope it’s Moisture Resistant & not standard wall board; tank any wet areas (shower cubicles or over bath) of you could be doing it all again in a couple of years or so. Waterproof tile backer board is much better in wet areas.

Only use quality trade products of the correct type, not cheapo DIY stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back