Difference between Floor and Wall tile adhesive? Can I use floor for wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just near the end of a downstairs toilet tiling and running out of wall tile adhesive (ready mixed weber.fix WR) but have loads of floor tile adhesive left (Unibond Creramic Floor tile Adhesive and Grout).

Just wondering if any problem in using the floor tile adhesive on the walls? - actually just a 3 inch mosaic and tile trim left to do.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Neither of your brands inspire confidence - in future only use powdered cementitious adhesive, and seperate grout.
What you propose is fine you should'nt have any problems.

Many thanks for the response ree...its touch and go...I may have enough without having to use the floor adhesive.

Interesting that when I bought the wall adhesive, the tile shop (Altwood Tiles Maidenhead) said of the Weber.fix WR ... "this is what the pros use" !!

I understand what you say about the Unibond floor adhesive though ... it took quite a long time to set, which isn't a problem for many DIYers, but I imagine its more of a problem for professionals who want to get on with the grouting straight away so having a quick setting cement based adhesive is best for them. I actually used a separate grout on the floor, again recommended as "the best" by the shop ... Dekogrout 2/12 ... which gave me uneven shading which I have never had a problem with before with ready mixed grout, but I couldn't get the right shade (Anthracite) in ready mixed. It was, I think, because it was going off as I was finishing the last bit of grouting (because I take a long time as an amateur:) and I also went back on some other bits done earlier.

Is it just the speed of setting that makes you recommend cement based adhesives? Personally I like a bit more time as an amateur to fiddle with the tiles to get them aligned, so slow setting ready- mixed adhesive suits me fine.

Thin set cement based materials mixed as per the instructions on the bag will give you plenty of time to "fiddle with the tiles".
All your setting out lines & straight edges are prepared before any fixing takes place

Sponsored Links
I know the tile shop you are talking about

I prefer to use cement based flexible tile adhesive and in most bathroom.applications this will be used on floors and walls
Kitchen and cloak rooms I may use ready mix but prefer the powdered material as you get more bang for your buck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back