quoting for a CU change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I'm a qualified sparkie operating up in Scotland and learning the self employed way of doing things.
I want to quote for a new CU to a potential customer but not sure how to go on.
I'm tempted to quote for a PIR first. Do the PIR and then qoute again for the actual replacement of the CU knowing what remedial work would be required. If the customer doesn't like the second quote I'd bill him just for a PIR.
Is that the way you'd do it?

Sponsored Links
Thats the way I would do it. If the existing cabling and accessories are not up to the job and fail any of the test PIR then your wasting your time putting in the new CU. Inform your customer of the process and explain that without carrying our a PIR first the whole installation may be unsafe regardless of installing a new CU.

Totally agree. The only way we ever do a CU change is with a prior PIR. Imagine fitting a new CU and then finding out the ring main is incomplete, or a low IR reading causing the RCD to operate or many other things. To complete an electrical installation certificate, everything it supplies has to comply to BS7671. If the customer doesnt want the PIR, then I wouldn't do change the CU I'm afraid. :D

Interesting post - I've been caught out two or three times this way where a job looks straightforward, but then....
How do you charge for this? I don't know whether anyone read the recent Which? report on electricians charges but a serious negative element was any charging for estimates etc. The risk element to us in encountering unforseen problems or the advisability of a PIR was completely ignored.

Sponsored Links
When quoting for a CU change I always quote £xx for a PIR and give an overall 'typical' price for the work, which usually includes bonding and new tails. I always take payment in at least 2 stages - after the PIR and after the CU change, I also sometimes ask for a deposit before the CU change..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back