Rad bleed nips stuck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks I’d be grateful for any ideas / help
In my central heating system I have round top double panel radiators, the bleed screws are not fitted at the ends, but are fitted below flush on the inside of the radiator panels, around 40mm in from the ends.

Over the years, a number of these bleed nipples square heads have worn, and therefore will no longer turn, using a radiator key. This wasn’t a problem in the past but it's become one now, the radiators need bleeding.

Has anyone found a way of removing and replacing bleed nipples situated in such a daft place like this?
BTW there are two nipples per radiator, one on each side of the double panels Picture in link

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v401/oldpost/Nipple.jpg

Any help much appreciated

Thanks coldblow

Sponsored Links
Unless you can get them out with a strong grip and pin nose pliers you have had it as they are a blo#dy nuisance to get out

I'm afraid its new radiator(s), unless u can get the nipple out with some long nose pliers.

Many thanks for your reply yerino & namsag. :) I've tried and failed with long nosed pliers, but going to have another go, using Plumbers mate putty, I've built a dam around each nip and filled with WD40 hoping that will ease them off enough. :D

:eek: It's got right up my nose not thinking about such problems when I got these bl**dy rads.

Sponsored Links
I'm not a heating engineer but here's my suggestion.

Off to the local plumbers merchant and buy several cheap rad keys.
(Lot cheaper than new radiators).

Clean the nips of all grease / oil.

Mix araldite and put a little in each key and glue them onto the nips,
bracing in place overnight with screwed up paper towels or similar.

Then attempt to unscrew.

You will need new nips of course.

Hope this helps.

Ian.

I'm not a heating engineer
No, and I'm not either :LOL:

But thats the best idea thats come up so far.

I can't figure out why I didnt think of that, lol I used to be the araldite kid :oops:

Many Thanks Unklian :D

I've found some radiator keys don't engage as good as they should.
The hole has a 45 degree counter sink which robs it of a little engagement, so it might be worth filing the end down to achieve max engagement.
Also dont choose those grey ones made from zinc alloy, the're weak.
If necessary put a sleeve over the key to give additional strength.

I'm not a heating engineer but here's my suggestion.

Off to the local plumbers merchant and buy several cheap rad keys.
(Lot cheaper than new radiators).

Clean the nips of all grease / oil.

Mix araldite and put a little in each key and glue them onto the nips,
bracing in place overnight with screwed up paper towels or similar.

Then attempt to unscrew.

You will need new nips of course.

Hope this helps.

Ian.

Top tip Unklien.

Andy.

In the meantime you could try - cut a 5mm square of copper pipe and stick it in the end of the bleed key to take up any slack (doesn't work every time but worth a go.

Nice one MANDATE & gigz

& Thank you very much all for the responses, I've got two glued on with araldite now, & just about to start to file the end off a large clock work one now. :D

What a place this is for great information.

A big Congratz to all the Admin team for setting this site up in the first place, and to all the members for sharing their so useful knowledge :cool: :)

If your glued key fails, try a 1/4 brake adjuster socket, the one with 6 or 8 star points

ok i have had this problem before,these back angled air vents can be un seized by.
1...get a few metal air release keys.not brass or ally.
2...if new metal key has recessed head cut off or file down recessed head so key is a direct/snug fit to nipple.
3...get rads as hot as possible use dismantling fluid on valve.
4...get a very good grip on nipple and turn in the correct way and they will unscrew.a spanner attached helps.
5...turn off radiator on both sides,remove nipple grease it with a water grease and refit.
6...future bleeding will be a joy.
ps any factory fitted rad air vents should be greased by rad installer to prevent the posters problem.
7...yes you can do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back