rad blew up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
could anyone tell me why my radiator literally burst when i put the heating on.just replaced a old rad for a new one upstairs.slightly bigger.primed it bled it topped the combi up to approx 1 bar.i did turn the wall thermostat to max to test the system.within 2 minutes heard two loud bangs from the downstairs kitchen rad.it swelled then burst.isolated the flow and removed it.on inspection it seeems to have popped two of the spot welds onthe rad,it is a very old thing.i have at least another 3 of these in the property.are they just not suitable for a combi system.the new rad heats up fine.your thoughts please.

Sponsored Links
Keep an eye on the boiler pressure gauge as it warms up to make sure the pressure isn't climbing too high. If it is, that may be a symptom of the expansion vessel in need of some attention.

The pressure relief valve at the boiler should open at about 3 Bar if there is a problem, and, IIRC, most new rads will handle about 5 Bar pressure.

If all is well at the boiler I would suspect it's just the old rad is well past it's sell by date.

Can happen on older rads that are then put on to pressurised systems.

radiator3.jpg

You wouldn't have a Potterton Puma boiler, by any chance?

Sponsored Links
Did you bother to watch the pressure as the system heated up?

Few rads will burst under 3 Bar.

This is where an experienced professional will consider aspects a DIYer might miss!

Tony

the older servowarm rads will burst under 3 Bar and also the older stelrad diamond shaped vertical water way rads approx 40 years old tend to blow up and split when added to a pressurised system.

i think thats what they are;the old steel vertical type,think my best course would be to isolate the old rads,and replace when funds permit,many thanks for the info..incidentaly a lot of the old pipe work looks like its a galvanised configuration with copper joints,could you tell me the life span of this material,is it ok as is.or should i replace it.many thanks in anticipation.

If the pipes are the thin stainless steel about the same thickness and size as copper then they were used about 1971 when there were copper supply difficulties.

Its life span was about 20 years. Perhaps a bit more if it was not disturbed and you tiptoed around in slippers!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back