Rad bracket fixing on tiled plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All! Am replacing a smaller imperial sized rad with a wider metric one. The old rad brackets are attached directly onto plasterboard with those anchors that you attach with a setting tool. The wall is now tiled with ceramic tiles , except where the brackets are. (I tiled around the brackets.) Question:- The new rad will need new brackets in a different place which will mean fitting them onto the face of the tiles.: I can't see how I can fit wall anchors over the tiles - there are teeth that dig into the plasterboard - also the force needed to set them might crack or split the tiles..... are there any alternative anchors I could use?
If there are any ideas, could you please give specific details of model and make, and pref. something I can buy from a shop rather than online....
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
You might have done better considering the radiator before tiling the wall......
You have a few choices;
Decide where your new brackets are going
Dremel or anglegrind (with diamond disc) a radiator-bracket shaped slot in the tiles. The top and bottom short cuts will be amusing but you shouldn't have signed up if you couldn't take a joke. DON'T cut into the plasterboard.
Remove bits of tile
Use your setting anchors
There ya go

Or use the existing fixings to secure 2 timber battens (or a sheet of decent ply) to the wall then fix your rad brackets to the ply.

Or drill big holes in the tiles and use Gripits

Or find the studs/noggins and use long screws to fix battens

Assuming it's a hollow wall ,plasterboard on studwork. Drill through the tiles and plasterboards and use spring toggles.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back