Rad getting hot with hotwater

Sponsored Links
* me don't start that argument again :) sorry dilalio this is in the cc . that reminds me , are you still going for your gas mate ?

I went to one training centre my mates use and found I was a square peg and they a round hole! Nice guys there and they suggested I meet with Centre manager when he returned from leave, to see if he could tailormake a route for me. Haven't had a chance to meet him yet as too bloody busy!
I'd love to get it - still trying to work out the logistics :notworthy::)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for comments guys, Didnt get a chance to look this weekend (In law's moved in to the main room that's heating up but will aim tonight to check which ones are heating with CH as DHW was already checked).

Will also try and figure out the return pipes and which ones are connecting in what order.

So i confirmed my initial flow/returns, The same sides get hot for CH as they do with DHW.

I looked at the return pipes and their order of connections, last one before filter and boiler is UFH manifold... and i cant see where the return is for the upstairs rads! The hotwater tank in use is ACV smart e 210 tank, https://www.acv.com/gb/customer/product/06627301-464/smart-e-plus-210#tabspace=unit&tabid=diagrams and from what i can see, there are connections to ports 15 (Heating circuit flow) and 16 (Heating circuit return) and connections to 3 (Flow connection (Primary Circuit)) and 6 - Auxiliary heating return and cold feed/hot out on ports 2 and 11. (will double check connections tonight)

Upstairs does have its own zone valve, but could the installer have installed the upstairs heating tee'd off the DHW tank as well so it comes on with either?
In which chase, i suspect that the DHW tank will get hot when rads are on also? and defeats the purpose of having two seperate zone valves :S

Some of the pipe work is hidden behind the tank so cant accurately follow it at the moment, but will move water softener out and try and follow them to get a better idea.

I am not sure that you are looking for the right thing.

The return from the cylinder would ( normally ) be in 22 mm and should be the last connection to the return pipe to the boiler.

This problem rad, does it have a TRV and why is that not turning off the flow to it?

The one I went to last week had TRVs but the pins were sticking slightly and so not fully turning them off.

Tony

Does pipe either side of the ch motorised valve heat up during no ch but HW on?

Tony I do not see what TRV pin has to do with circulation during HW only demand. Pin stuck would be relevant if rad did not heat up during ch demand. Discussion here is rads heating during HW demand

To clarify, it is all rads on that zone - one in particular but it has been balanced that way (coldest room so i've got it set to get hotter then the rest).

Agile- All the pipework on the tank is 22mm, save fresh water feed/return at the top of the tank.

DP - I'll check tonight

Tony I do not see what TRV pin has to do with circulation during HW only demand. Pin stuck would be relevant if rad did not heat up during ch demand. Discussion here is rads heating during HW demand

it is relevant because if there is some reverse circulation, at summer room temperatures the TRV will be closed and prevent the rad from getting hot.

Pin sticks in the off position. TRV fails in open position if mechanism defective

It is not a TRV problem since a few rads are heating during HW demand. If one rad TRV pin sticking in on position (very remote case) then other rads would indeed not heat up. I am sure OP said rads (plural) were heating when only HW was run

Anyway, no reverse circulation as water flow is in one direction only for HW only and CH as well

First question should have been how long has it been like this has it just started or has it always been like this

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
Gas112, boiler and tank were replaced along with install of ufh in Dec, so this is the first summer that I've noticed as the heating was suppose to be off...

One image showing the pipes to the front of the tank, top one as far as I can follow (it passes behind the tank so can't be 100% sure but am 99% is from the zone valve.

Bottom two disappear behind the tank as two pipes on the front, but there are 5 at the back, which should be flow/return for upstairs, flow for hot water to kitchen, flow for hot water in bathroom and return from hot water tank... But that does t explain two pipes at the back of tank, and two at the bottom!

Attachments

• 14962519993511099337821.jpg
    14962519993511099337821.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 82
Unclebob, look at the link posted

http://www.hertsboilers.co.uk/tech/Back Flow.pdf

This is reverse circulation
I asked if the direction of water through the rads reverses when CH is on then off while HW is being heated
You said the direction of flow in the rads is the same when CH is off and when CH is on during water heating

In the diagram note the flow through the rads is reversed when only HW is on
If CH valve opens while HW is on, flow through the rads will be reversed

Clearly I cannot see what Tony is thinking of with TRVs- no relevance to reverse circulation

It would appear your CH motorised valve is passing if flow direction remains the same with CH valve on or off, otherwise a plumbing issue

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back