RAD PROBLEM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI GUYS,
FIRST POST SO HERE GOES. I HAVE JUST FITTED TWO BRAND NEW RADIATORS NEXT TO EACH OTHER IN MY LOUNGE TO FIT INTO THE BAY WINDOW AREA. THE ONE ON THE LEFT (WITH THE TRV) IS AS WARM AS THE REST OF THE RADS IN THE HOUSE BUT THE ONE ON THE RIGHT IS NO WHERE NEAR AS WARM AS IT SHOULD BE ALTHOUGH IT WILL WARM UP OVER A PERIOD OF TIME.

SO HERE IS THE QUESTION - SHOULD I HAVE JOINED THEM AT THE TOP OR BOTTOM OR BOTH ? ( I JOINED THEM AT THE BOTTOM TO TRY AND HIDE THE JOINING PIPEWORK)

HOPE YOU CAN HELP,
KENNY.

Sponsored Links
TKN17 said:
HI GUYS,
FIRST POST SO HERE GOES. I HAVE JUST FITTED TWO BRAND NEW RADIATORS NEXT TO EACH OTHER IN MY LOUNGE TO FIT INTO THE BAY WINDOW AREA. THE ONE ON THE LEFT (WITH THE TRV) IS AS WARM AS THE REST OF THE RADS IN THE HOUSE BUT THE ONE ON THE RIGHT IS NO WHERE NEAR AS WARM AS IT SHOULD BE ALTHOUGH IT WILL WARM UP OVER A PERIOD OF TIME.

SO HERE IS THE QUESTION - SHOULD I HAVE JOINED THEM AT THE TOP OR BOTTOM OR BOTH ? ( I JOINED THEM AT THE BOTTOM TO TRY AND HIDE THE JOINING PIPEWORK)

HOPE YOU CAN HELP,
KENNY.

Firstly find your caps lock button and turn it OFF

Its the 'I JOINED THEM AT THE BOTTOM' bit that sounds very ominous

A picture paints a thousand words

Post a pic or write a thousand words.

If the sense I make of that :rolleyes: is right you may have made a pigs ear of it

Hi,
The caps button is now OFF so in response to your reply regarding the wording of my post i think that if i had written "joined at the rear" (titter,titter) it may have prompted some infantile response but(t) as this was a genuine issue i thought the reply may have been a little more mature.

With regards to the "a picture paints a thousand words" statement then as far as i am aware a standard radiator only has the facility to be connected at the top or (here we go again) the bottom.So why would you need a picture or for that matter a thousand words unless the white radiators are different from the rest of them???

To clarify my problem for those who my be confused with my original post here goes.

Two standard 500t x 600L radiators fitted into the bay window of my lounge ,LHS rad with the TRV connected to the flow side of the CH system a 300mm tap connector linking both radiators a the bottom (he,he) then the RHS rad connected to the return side of the CH system. The problem as previously stated is that when the heating is on the LHS rad heats up much quicker than the RHS , which will eventualy over half an hour reach the same temp.

Question - Should the rads be linked at the top,bottom or both to get the proper flow rate through each one ??

Many thanks,
Kenny.

I am not a plumber but surely this is basic physics. Hot water comes in through TRV and rises to the top of radiator one, this inflow as it cools gradually moves down the radiator as further heat enters until finally this heated water (although not as hot as coming in to rad 1 initially) is forced into radiator two where exactly the same happens, hence the time lag before the two rads of the same temperature. Number 2 can never be the exact temp as no1! Why not pipe up the two rads separately and buy a rad cover or alternatively buy a bespoke "bent" one.

Sponsored Links
Don't use tap connectors for CH unless you want a flood.
Dolph has it. Connect the rads in parallel.

a 300mm tap connector linking both radiators a the bottom

:eek:

I knew there was a ferret loose thats why I asked for a pic

:rolleyes: ..... Ok I'm over it now

Here's your answer

To achieve what you wish to achieve which is for the two to act as one radiator they should be joined top and bottom.

I do see where you are coming from and if that is your desired effect then do it if you like, theres no law against it, but it ain't proper plumbing

Hi,
Thanks for your prompt repiles, Dolph- the reason that i cannot pipe them up seperatly is that i do not have access under the floor to access the pipework and do not want to cover the rads with a cover as i have spent time and effort in fitting chrome pipework and valves and feel it would be a shame to hide them, with regards to purchasing a bespoke rad then apart from the financial outlay there is the issue that it would have to fit the pitch of the original one.

The reason that i used tap connectors is that with fixed pipework at both ends and the radiators almost touching in the centre i had to join them on the floor then lift them into position so excuse my ignorance on this one but why should you not use tap connectors ???

Kenny.

TKN17 said:
why should you not use tap connectors ???

Because it ain't proper plumbing!!! You could have used parallel threads when tapered threads would make the job right

However

I like the ingenuity of a bit of Heath Robinson so long as it is safe or at least risk assessed.

If you could post a pic of your creation we could better help you in this respect or we may have an idea that would improve on what you have.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back