Radial Circuit Cable Length

Sponsored Links
When I suggested this to the electrician he told me the figures stated for the current carrying capacity of the cable in different installation scenarios was a recommendation only & because all of the run was not within conduit they were not relevant.
And this person claimed to be an electrician did he ?
Personally I would have though it would make little difference if only part of the run was not in conduit as the part of the cable that is inside the conduit will still heat up at the same rate regardless of how much of the cable is not inside the conduit?
Correct.

If you really wanted to have a bit of fun, you could ask him for his calculations. The tables in BS7671 are there to avoid people having to learn how to do the calculations for heating and heat loss for different types of cables in different installation situations. You don't have to follow the guidance - but if you don't then you need to do all the design work yourself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back