Radial circuit, 2 cable sizes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a radial circuit in my garage with a single socket. I've added 3 additional sockets this morning, cabling them with 2.5mm twin and earth. When I came to connect these sockets to the existing socket, I discovered the feed from the consumer unit to the original socket was being fed by a thicker cable. See pic below of 'thicker' cable with a piece of 2.5mm for comparison.

Is this a problem? The sockets in the garage are used for standard purposes, charging drill batteries etc. The circuit is on a 32 amp breaker.

IMG_4317.JPG

Sponsored Links
Will replace with 4mm between the new sockets. In the meantime, is the wiring 'safe' with no load going through it, or would it be best to knock the breaker off?

Sponsored Links
It will be fine if you don't use it.

There look to be several nicks in the copper. Best cut that off and redo.

It's safe except when overloaded. The breaker won't protect against overload on that part of the circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back