RADIATOR AIR TAP/ SCREW.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have quite an old radiator in the upstairs bedroom. Last night, I bled the radiator aplying a key to the screw at the top of the radiator.

Air came out of the radiator with force, carrying with it bits of sludge and metal.

I tried to tighten the screw back up, but it fell into the radiator (somehow).

I've turned the radiator off, but would like to know if new screws are available as a temporary measure? The brass teeth inside the radiator seem fine, which means that a screw should be easily fitted.

I've tried my local merchants, but can't seen to find any screws for the top of a radiator. Can you help?

Sponsored Links
There is a chance someone might have one lying about, but they all have different threads etc so unfortunately I think there is more chance of you winning the lottery than finding one :cry:

Although someone usually wins the lottery :)

If you say you got metal etc out then it sounds like the radiator could be at the end of its life anyway.

If it's a normal 1/2" tapping, then you can but the complete assembly - assuming that you can get the old one out.

the bleed screw goes into a removable plug. You can buy these plugs, with new bleed screw, on the plumbing shelf. Your old one may have an internal hex or square socket, and you will need a radiator spanner to take it out. the new one might be the same, but they are also available with a external hex like a nut. Use PTFE tape on the threads of the new one.

p1094520_l.jpg

Sponsored Links
Not if it's an old Myson etc where the bleed screw goes direct into the rad. I assumed this is what he had from his description.

then maybe a brass setscrew would fit? what size do you think?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back