Radiator Balance question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some guidance on how to improve the Central heating in my house.I have just realised all my radiators have not been balanced for a while ( after reading some good articles on this Site ). As we have been doing some significant renovation to the house over the last 4 years, some of which meant replacing radiators, taking them off the walls to decorate and adding new ones to the system ( this was done by a plumbing firm ).

Now I want to balance all my rads but I dont have the thermometers required. I read the FAQ and a few other articles on this. Therefore I have the following questions :

1. Can I do this manually, I read somewhere there is a touch test you can do OR do I need to bite the bullet and get someone in.
2. I am not sure the flow/order of the rads from the boiler as some have been added over the years , does that matter ? I can work on the distance obviously.
3. When I am balancing the system, what should the TRVs be set to ? Currently they are all at 5 as the house is big and cold, not helped by the lack of balance in the radiators.
4. I have since discovered the TRVs I fitted to some of the new rads might not be bi directional. This is the type ( cheap and cheerful ). Now the rads are still warming up however I am now thinking I might need to switch them to the flow side.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/angled-thermostatic-radiator-valve-white-chrome-15mm/32130

5. Once I get the rads balanced, should I expect an increase in the heat in the house ? As I said we have the TRVs all at 5.

FYI The boiler is a Vokera Linea 24.

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Are you having any problems with the rads that would suggest they need balancing?
If all your TRV's are set to 5 are your rads sized correctly?
Do you have a TRV in the same room as your room stat?

Yes, i had a cold radiator in my loft. After some research on here, i got it warm by closing some of the Lockshield valves ( not really balancing ) on radiators closer to the boiler. Previously most of the lockshield valves were fully open. Now i want balance them correctly.

Yes, i have rads in all the rooms which are big enough to cope with the room size.

Sorry what do you mean by room stat ? The only controls i have for the central heating are on the boiler, i dont have any control elsewhere. I set the timer and tmp on the boiler which is in the kitchen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back