balancing radiators with TRVs

i love it....

if you dont know, why not ask....instead of arguing/assuming

Sponsored Links
There is a reason to do with physics why rads should be balanced using the lockshield valve and it being on the return.
And trying to balance a system with the lockshield on the flow will not always work as it should.As most will have found it with experience
Does not matter whether the trv is bi directional .
a properly set up system will have trv on flow and lockshield on return

Oh, well, you should have said. A reason to do with physics! How stupid of me not to have realised.

It's so obvious now that you've explained it so painstakingly, and there we were, all attempting to misguidedly advise on the basis of the collective wisdom of The Honeywell Fairies. Jesus H. Chris, ah have seeeeeen da light! :D

Softas as a so called pro giving advice on here i would not imagine that i would have to take the time to explian it to you , as you should have done it during your apprenticeship.
Unless you are self taught or a six weeker then you will never have been taught poperly. Only you and you know which is correct

Sponsored Links
Softas as a so called pro giving advice on here
I have never called myself a "pro giving advice on here". I don't know where you've got that from.

i would not imagine that i would have to take the time to explian it to you
Imagine away. If you can't explain it then by all means duck out of it.

You seem quite a dab hand on the internet i suggest you spend a little time finding out for yourself the proper way to set up a system before you start giving advice and having a dig at OP .
Sorry my mistake calling you a pro , thinking about it anyone who thinks because a pump is blue it must be a divertor valve obviously is of limited intelligence so as i said my mistake

well, there might be reasons but they escape me....if done my fair share of balancing acts and whether the water is trying to get in the rad or out of seems to me not to matter....the purpose is to slow down the rate of flow through a particular rad, allowing more flow to go to others

Some valves are noisier than others when nearly closed

To the OP, balancing is done on the LS valves and not the TRV, which ever side the trv is fitted

Try and flush your system through first, especially paying attention to the 3 cold rads. Then set up / balance your system as explained by some of the guys in this thread :)

mmm that would just restrict water in. I need to restrict water out so that the b****y thing heats up.
I won't bother to repeat what JohnD and others have said on this subject apart from reiterating the fact that it is the rate of flow through the radiator which is the deciding factor and it does not matter which valve is used to control the flow - what goes in must come out.

Just noticed, below the trv head the pin is surrounded by a plastic collar marked 1-10 which can be turned down/up. Is this the flow adjustment for balancing the TRV?
Honeywell valves? The plastic collar is a very crude way of providing balancing facilities. I have them on all my rads and thought: whoopee, balancing will be a piece of cake. However the dial just restricts how far the pin will rise, so it also reduces the effectiveness of the sensing element in the TRV head.

I set the collar to fully open and used the LS valve to balance.

namsag said:
There is a reason to do with physics why rads should be balanced using the lockshield valve and it being on the return.
What is the physics?

And trying to balance a system with the lockshield on the flow will not always work as it should.As most will have found it with experience
Does not matter whether the trv is bi directional .
a properly set up system will have trv on flow and lockshield on return

Aha, thank you namsag - you've got it.. a so called 'pro' put the trv on the return pipe and the lockshield is on the inlet. So no amount of twiddling with the LS is working. Hence my question.

When the rest of you finish slagging me off and actually take notice of the setup I am dealing with perhaps you will then understand why the earlier advice given here didn't work. It's not because i choose to ignore it or argue.

Bikeman. A lot of systems it will not matter if the lockshield is on the flow and system will balance reasonably enough , But the correct way to set up a system is to have the balancing valve(lockshield) on the return and the trv or on/off valve on the flow. The trv head should also be removed during balancing.
If system doesn`t balance then you would then start looking for other reasons such as blockages etc. But no point doing that till the basics are correct

Hmmm........in the time it has taken the OP to post all his issues he could have solved the problem in 30 mins.......drain down and swap over TRV and lockshields......doh.......come on bikeman......use some comon sense....if it ain't working try namsag's idea and ensure ALL trv's are on the flow side. My guess is it won't make any difference......i have never come across a system with bi-directional valves on i can't balance out.....you must not be balencing em correctly. Close em all off and start with the 3 that don't get hot....crank open the lockshilds till they do then go do the others.....bet it works

If I close the returns any more on the one's that are getting hot, those rads dont heat up either.

The TRVs are not jammed.

There's no blockage
doesn't add up

If the boiler is providing heat, and the pump is pumping it round, and you have closed all the other radiators, then either:

there is a blockage and the heated water is not going round

or

it is going somewhere else. Not a radiator, you say, so either a bypass, or going to the HW cylinder due to a faulty valve or control.

You still have not explained the "physics". Or are you just quoting folk lore?

The Tour and Andersson Handbook, Balancing of Radiator Systems, is very informative; although it is aimed at the commercial market - office blocks etc.

Good link. :D
That should keep bikeman quiet for a while. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back