Balancing with TRVs - Required or not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Looking for advice on balancing. Do i need to balance with the following setup -

Setup:-
Greenstar Junior Boiler 28i in cupboard in back bedroom.
2 x Bedroom mid terrace
Salus RT500F Wireless Controller in Hall.

Upstairs Bedrooms - Double Panel Kermi Radiators both with TRVS fitted. Back Room - Heater very warm to touch
Front Room - Not as warm to touch

Upstairs bathroom (also at back of House) - Single Panel Kermi Radiator (Space Saver) with TRV fitted. Heater very warm to touch

Downstairs Hall - Double Panel Kermi Radiator, no TRV, lockshield fully open. Not as warm considering should have full heat being fully open.

Downstairs Lounge - Double Panel Kermi Radiator with TRV, takes a very long time to heat up.

Downstairs Kitchen (back of house) - Double Panel Kermi Radiator with TRV - Heater very warm to touch

Sorry for info overload but wanted to give an idea of my setup so as to get the answer i'm after.

Should also mention that all return valves are fully open and all TRVs are Danfoss Bi-Directional.

thanks

Sponsored Links
It does look as if the rooms at the back of the house are hogging the majority of the flow around the system, while among others the lounge and hall are out on a limb.

I'd recommend reading the FAQs about balancing and then experiment a bit by starting to close down the lockshields of the greedy radiators.

the simple answer is yes, you balance every system, balancing is about ensuring adequate controlled flow through the whole system to ensure when under full load that there is an adequate flow to the furthest away rad (the one likely to cause a problem) TRV's are to control the heat within the room not restrict the flow round the heating circuit, once you read the FAQ's about balancing you will understand it a bit better, then when done you refit the TRV heads to allow individual control to each rad as and when required

Ok, will give it a go, cheers for the advice, seemed like a pretty obvious question but thot it best to ask for some advice before tinkering with the lockshields.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Sponsored Links
Its an obvious answer but you would be surprised to hear that there are many plumbers who will tell you that you DONT need to balance with TRVs!

Totally wrong of course but thats what some will tell you.

Imagine when the system starts up after a cold night and all TRVs are open. Then the system will need to be balanced to enable each rad to correctly heat its own area.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back