Radiator balancing problem - scary noises from combi boiler!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Many months of DIY has seen me various remove and replace most of the radiators in our two-bed, ground-floor flat. At all times, I have been careful to note the setting on the lock valves, hoping to prevent any balancing problems. The system is fed by a Volera combi boiler.

All the DIY finished a while back and, during each stage, I have tested the various radiators - and no problems.

However, both the radiators in the two bedrooms have been off for a while (we have not been occupying these rooms). Now that I try to use them, they remain steadfastly cold. I have bled them completely, and double-checked that the lock valves are open as before the DIY. Also, I have had these rads working -- it's just that they've been off for a few months since the last test.

Today I have attempted various trial-and-error troubleshooting. I have stopped because of the following, and would appreciate any guidance: having turned off the control valves on three *working* radiators in an attempt to 'force' the hot feed to the cold rads, my combi boiler starts to make a frightful noise -- at which point I bottle out, switch it off and, well... come onto DIYnot!

Obviously, I'm not a central-heating expert and will call in a plumber if that's the most sensible option, but I'd like to hear any opinions of what might be the cause here. The layout of this flat suggests that the two bedroom rads (which are cold) may be fed by a separate loop, if such a thing is possible. I'm wondering if an air-lock might be causing this and, if so, would draining the system be a next good step?

Cheers,

Harry.

Sponsored Links
check the pins in the trv are free and working,remove the trv head and gently pull and push the pin they tend to get stuck when not in use

Hi bripl,

I think you may be right (though I did doubt you at first)!

I've shone my Maglight through the openings under the TRV on both rads and sure enough, the pins underneath (which I can just see) do not move up and down. Trying the same on a working rad, and the pins do indeed move up and down...

My only question now is about removing a TRV -- I've not done this before. The TRVs in question appear to be simply clamped on top, with a single nut/bolt clamp. Is it safe to simply loosen and remove this? Do I need to drain the system first? (I don't wish to end up with a face full of water!). Also, would a spray of WD40 be wise to loosen the pins, or should I ease them up with pliers?

Cheers,

Harry.

Sponsored Links
Thanks to both of your for your help and advice -- your words of wisdom have helped me fix the problem. The pins under the TRVs were indeed stuck down, but a little jiggle with some pliers (having first removed the TRV head) and the rads burst back in to life!

I'm very grateful.

Now, if either of you need any help with computers...

Harry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back