Balancing radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently learnt about this and since i have a radiator that only heats up at the top quater i thought id have a go.
I turned the heating off and let it all go cold, then turned the heating on to work out which rads come on firts and to see if the temp valve was on the inlet.
Well 7 out of my 12 radiators have in inlet feed coming through the lock valve. I am asuming that they are plumbed up incorectly??? An since i have had the whole house re plumbed compleatly, 5 years ago im not impressed to say the least.
Im i right in thinking i carnt balance my radiators now? And will have to change the valves around??
TIA

Sponsored Links
If your rads have TRVs and these are bi-directional/bi-flow (which they are fairly likely to be), then it doesn't matter if the flow enters the rad via the lockshield.
Open each one by a quarter turn and then keep going that way on the ones that are not so hot, until they are all hot. If they don't all get hot, you have other problems!

Edit: 1/4 turn on lockshields that is, leave the TRVs fully open during balancing.

Sponsored Links
These ones if that helps

Attachments

• 20170131_182318.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 119
These ones if that helps

You could have looked for this yourself!

IMG_2217.PNG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back