Radiator banging/popping noises

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have recently refurbished a house and re utilised most of the old radiators but relocated a majority to different parts of the rooms and purchased new valves etc. They all run off a combi boiler.

However, the one in the main bedroom is driving us mad. At 6am every morning when the heating is firing up there is a loud noise coming from the bottom right of the radiator where the inlet valve is situated. I can only really describe it as a loud dripping/popping/crackling sound that goes on for 20/30mins while the radiator is warming up. It is driving us crazy. We have bled the radiator which hasn't helped, also it doesn't seem like it is coming from the pipes as the noise appears to be coming from the area where the valve is connected to the radiator and also actually within the corner of the radiator. Fiddling around with the valve helps a little but reducing the flow reduces the heat so that isn't a solution plus unless you turn the valve completely off it still makes the noise.

The radiators are single panel radiators (the ribbed type) with just standard valves. Someone mention adding a TRV might help but before I try I wanted to see if anyone could offer any advice.

Thank you in advance. [/list]

Sponsored Links
Is it a thermostatic rad valve ?
You may have it on the wrong side.
Look at the arrows on it is it bi-directional ?

Thanks for the reply.

They are just standard angled radiator valves with the white plastic heads. The one on the right controls twists and has hot and cold arrow - which i assume is to control the flow. The valve on the left is fixed.

Must be expansion then.
Either pipework or radiator and could be on the rad bracket.
Did you use the small plastic inserts on the bracket that stops the metal on metal expansion noise ?

Sponsored Links
I will double check about the clips.

They are quite old radiators so could it be something bouncing about inside if not?

I'm not quite sure what you mean about the solder - if it is that is it easy sorted?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back