radiator change.

J

Jimbo1978

Have old rads in my house where both 8mm pipes go into the same side of the rad. I want to put a new style unit in where a pipe goes in either end but am not 100% sure how to. My house still has a back boiler heating system and am not sure where to stop the flow to allow me to add or change the pipework at the rad. I have noticed a stop cock next to the water pump, would this help? Plus the 8mm pipes at the rad are fixed in a concrete floor so all work would have to take place above the floor level. I am competent at minor plumbing so any help would be magic.

Ta much

Jimbo

Sponsored Links
you will have a small tank in the loft the stoptap near the pump may well be for the cold supply

you need to drain the system

look for View media item 14822
and off you go

remove the maxitwin and clean the pipes

if your no good at soldering use comp

close drain turn water on

bobs your mothers brother ;)

My system should have one of these on the rad closest to the front door but the council plumbers didnt bother to fit one. Before I bought the house the council plumbers changed the rad in the front room and did mess about in the loft but didnt seem to drain the system so i presume they must have stopped the flow. I think I should be ok plugging the system but would I be able to do the following.
My currents pipes are 8mm. Most rads seem to use 15mm. I have bought 2 solder type 15 to 8mm reducers. I planned to solder these to the pipes then use 15mm chrome tube with one going straight up to one side of rad. For the other side I was going to fit 90deg comp. elbow and run chrome tube along bottom of rad then turn it again to bottom of rad. Or would I be better locating trv's that use 8mm and extending on my existing size.

Damn. after reading that I have confused myself.
If you decypher that you will win a cup of tea and a kit-kat.

Cheers

Jim

sounds ok carrots or parsnips are handy for bunging the tank

honest

if your on 8mm get some cleaner in the tank while your at it

and while you have it bunged fit a drain tap ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back