Radiator cleaner and inhibitor..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think the radiators in my house could do with some radiator cleaner put into the system and then flushed as some of the radiators downstairs are always cold ...
These radiators have been in 20 years and never been cleaned and flushed so what would be the best stuff to use and best inhibitor to put in after ...

How long can l leave the cleaner in before it needs to be drained out, could l leave it in for a couple of months to give it a really good cleaning of the pipes and radiators..

Sponsored Links
I would make sure that your pump is ok and that the system is balanced before going down the chemical cleaner route.

I like Sentinel X400, which is not aggressive, and can be left circulating for four weeks before draining and rinsing (if left longer, its cleaning power fades and the sediment will eventually re-settle)

If you can do simple plumbing and can afford about £100, fit a system filter as well, and empty out the sludge during and after the cleaning. Eventually you will find the amount of trapped sludge reduces.

If you are tough, take the rads off the wall and flush them through with a powerful hose in the garden. IMO this works better after the X400 has loosened it, though some say hose first.

Remember to add an inhibitor such as X100 afterwards.

Sponsored Links
I like Sentinel X400, which is not aggressive, and can be left circulating for four weeks before draining and rinsing (if left longer, its cleaning power fades and the sediment will eventually re-settle)

If you can do simple plumbing and can afford about £100, fit a system filter as well, and empty out the sludge during and after the cleaning. Eventually you will find the amount of trapped sludge reduces.

If you are tough, take the rads off the wall and flush them through with a powerful hose in the garden. IMO this works better after the X400 has loosened it, though some say hose first.

Remember to add an inhibitor such as X100 afterwards.
Thanks for the replys ..
I'm going to stick some sentinel 400 in and leave it a couple of weeks, but instead of draining down would it be better to shut off a radiator one at a time and flush the radiator out before putting back on and going to the next one..
Would l get a better result going this way..

do you mean take off the radiator valve, or take off the whole radiator?

You will need to drain and rinse the whole system anyway, because sludge will be lurking in underfloor pipes and other places that do not get empty.

Bale out the mud from the F&E tank and sponge it clean before you start. If there is fungus or slime, wipe it with bleach.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back