Radiator cold on one side

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I was just looking for some advice on my living room radiator. All of my radiators are fine except for the living room one. The trv was stuck but I managed to loosen the pin and the radiator got hot but only on the trv side and gradually as you go along the rad it gets cold minus a few warm spots at the top. So basically I would say about a third of the radiator is hot. Also the lockshield valve is cold. Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
You might have some trapped air in the radiators.

At the top corner of the radiator there is a screw - if you turn this slightly you will hear air escaping, make sure to put a cup under it and tighten it up again when water starts to drip out.

Sounds like you still have poor flow through the rad, whilst you've freed the pin off on the TRV, the 'Jumper' (washer) may still be stuck in the closed position, or there is a blockage/air lock somewhere. Try turning off all the other rads, and force the full flow from the pump through this rad, see if that is enough to dislodge the blockage/air lock.

If this doesn't work then you may need to look at removing the rad unfortunately. Hose it through and make sure water can flow through freely, and no large amounts of black sludge etc. If you're brave, open the TRV and/or lockshield up into a bucket and see if there a decent flow from both ends. If so replace the rad and see if it heats up.

Air/gas would be trapped at the top of the rad, you only need to bleed a rad if there's a cold spot at the Top.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back