Radiator cooling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of the rads on my system, cools down much quicker than the other ones. When heating on and raising the temp, it's red hot, but once boiler starts to cycle, keeping temperature constant, this rad cools down, the others stay quite hot. The rad in question is the first on the loop. They all have trv fitted, and all currently set to 3 out of 5. Any ideas as to why this rad cools and the others don't.

Sponsored Links
I have 2 rads in one room and I have to set one either a half or a full number higher than the other. I always put it down to one being on an inside wall and one being on an outside one. If I leave them both on the same setting, the one on the inside wall shuts down a fair while before the other.

Sponsored Links
Not sure, but this rad seems to cool much faster than the others, that are also set the same.
The TRV is sensing the ROOM temperature and not the radiator temperature. When the room gets to the setting on the TRV, it regulates the radiator down or even turns it off completely. Maybe this room warms up quicker than the others.

Most TRV's aren't that accurate for various reasons (one of which @Mottie mentions) and it's quite common to find that a setting of 3 on one TRV would equate to a setting of between 3 and 4 on another, which is probably the reason why most have numbers on the dial as apposed to an actual temperature value.

It seems like there might be a specific issue with the radiator that cools down more quickly compared to the others in your system. One possibility could be a problem with the balancing of the heating system, which ensures equal distribution of heat throughout the radiators. It's also worth considering factors such as airlocks, trapped air, or a faulty TRV (Thermostatic Radiator Valve) on that particular radiator.

To address this issue, you can try a few troubleshooting steps. Firstly, check if the TRV on the problem radiator is working correctly by ensuring it is set to the desired temperature and not stuck in a closed or partially closed position. You can also try bleeding the radiator to release any trapped air. Additionally, if your system has a balancing valve, you might need to adjust it to regulate the flow of hot water to each radiator more evenly.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's an aluminium radiator it will heat up and cool down quicker than a steel one.

What I can’t understand is how the digital/Wifi/Bluetooth TRV's work by using actual temperatures as a setting. Surely you can’t get the correct room temperature setting by taking a reading from something six inches from the floor? I could understand it if each TRV was linked and controlled by a stand alone wireless room stat but I haven't seen any such thing on the market.

What I can’t understand is how the digital/Wifi/Bluetooth TRV's work by using actual temperatures as a setting. Surely you can’t get the correct room temperature setting by taking a reading from something six inches from the floor? I could understand it if each TRV was linked and controlled by a stand alone wireless room stat but I haven't seen any such thing on the market.
You're forgetting the 'Meatbag' factor in the equation - the air temperature may be 20° at the thermostat, but if you are cold, you're going to set a higher temperature!

There may also be algorithms within the smart TRVs to help compensate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back