radiator extension run

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have had an extension fitted with two radiators but they never get more than lukewarm the boiler i have been assured was big enough to accomodate the extra radiators but i believe my problem is how they have been piped up. they have been taken off a previuos radiator by using tee pieces off the inlet and then teed back in to the outlet would it be better to loop them either off the inlet or outlet rather than teeing them also these rads are on microbore would this adversely affect the rest of the system if looped (planning on changing to 15mm in summer) ,hope this makes sense

Sponsored Links
forgot to mention am on a combi boiler rest of system fine except cannot use trvs as soon as weturn them down they bang i think that previous fitter may have installed em on wrong side but as all bang is it possible they maybe connected wrong pipes at bolier end ie switching flow around the system??

What size pipe have they teed off ?
Do both rads come off separately in 10mm ?
How long are the 10mm runs ?
Are the trvs bi-directional ?
Do all the rads have trvs ?
Does the boiler have a by-pass ?
What is the output of the boiler compared to the total btu's of the rads ?

they are teed off 15 mm (rest of system) is normal they are looped? ie one teed feed comes off inlet on main rad goes to one rad then the other and then returns and is teed to 15 mm outlet on main rad. total run is approx 20 metres. dont know if trvs are bi yes on all rads boiler is a vokera linea 28 assume it has a bypass valve as fitted by plumbing firm and was told there would be sufficient btu capability for the extra rads which were going to be fitted later, it sorta makes sense to me hard to describe lol

Sponsored Links
boiler is upstairs above kitchen and extension is ground floor coming off kitchen 2 rooms hence long run am planning to replace 10 mm for 15 in summer when i get some time off (bit of a pain job) would a auxilary pump be needed or help

Turn the rest of the rads off to see if they get hot, if they do it is probably a balancing issue.
The TRV's should have flow direction arrow's on the valve body.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back